WHAT IS FESARTA AND WHAT ARE ITS OBJECTIVES?
Wednesday, 5th September 2012
FESARTA is a non-profit Section 21 Company, registered in South Africa.
It is a regional road transport association, representing the National Road Transport Associations (NRTAs) in East and Southern Africa at regional level.
Its sphere of operations covers the 16 countries in East and Southern Africa, though not all of the countries have effective NRTAs.
South Africa has the largest and most successful NRTA in the region.
Eight countries (DRC, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Tanzania and Zimbabwe) have NRTAs which are of varying strength.
Five countries (Botswana, Burundi, Swaziland, Uganda and Zambia) are represented by one person behind a desk in a company and who is the chairman of the NRTA.
Two countries (Angola and Lesotho) don’t have NRTAs at all.
Below is a table of FESARTA’s NRTA membership:
|Botswana||Botswana Hauliers Association||Only just functional|
|Burundi||Association Des Transporteurs Int. Du Burundi||Only just functional|
|DRC||Association Des Transporteurs Int. Katanga||Only just functional|
|Kenya||Kenya Transport Association||Strong, active association|
|Lesotho||Association of Lesotho Employers||Non-functional|
|Malawi||Road Transport Operators Association||Strong, active association|
|Mozambique||FEMATRO/Astrocama||Functional and active|
|Namibia||Namibia Logistics Association||Strong, active association|
|Rwanda||Rwanda Transport Association||Functional and active|
|South Africa||Road Freight Association||Very strong association|
|Swaziland||Swaziland Road Transport Association||Functional and active|
|Tanzania||Tanzanian Truck Owners Association||Strong, active association|
|Uganda||Uganda Commecial Truck Owners Association||Only just functional|
|Zambia||Fedhaul||Only just functional|
|Zimbabwe||Transport Operators Association||Functional and active|
FESARTA has two main objectives:
- To provide a good service to its NRTA members, through information dissemination, advocacy and solving cross-border problems along the corridors in East and Southern Africa.
- To improve the efficiency of transport in the region, lower transport costs and reduce poverty, through working with:
- the three Regional Economic Communities (RECs), COMESA, EAC and SADC,
- the two TradeMarks, TradeMark East Africa (TMEA) and TradeMark Southern Africa (TMEA),
- regional and international donors, eg USAID, DFID and
- other regional associations, PMAESA (Port Management Association of East and Southern Africa), ASANRA (Association of Southern African National Roads Agencies), SARA (Southern African Railways Association), FCFASA (Federation of Clearing and Forwarding Associations of Southern Africa) and FEAFFA (Federation of East African Freight Forwarding Associations)