FESARTA Launches Cross-Border Bureau to Assist Transporters
Wednesday, 2nd October 2019
Cross-border transport is being plundered by the various authorities on the corridors by over regulation and predatory enforcement practises. FESARTA is fully engaged with various regional structures in trying to resolve the systemic problems.
The daily harassment and illogical enforcement actions are however a major feature of the current operations as we all know, and they contribute to inefficiency, costs and frustration. We are taking steps to provide on the ground assistance for operators on corridors throughout the region and intend to continually enhance our network of contacts and resources.
In order to ensure that there is no conflict with the activities of the national transport associations which are FESARTA members, the federation has created a subsidiary assistance bureau which we will call the Cross-Border Operators Bureau (CBOB) which can then provide direct services to transporters and companies affiliated to the Transport sector.
Traditionally it has always been agreed that NRTA members could not join FESARTA, as it is the umbrella federation in the region. However, CBOB has been designed to complement membership of the national transport associations (NRTAs) by providing a service centre to resolve problems across borders and will give NRTA members preferential membership of CBOB.
The creation of CBOB follows from a request from a Transporter to assist with the unlawful impounding of one of their vehicles after a minor incident involving the spillage of a small content of a Hazchem cargo at toll plaza in RSA. FESARTA was able to have the vehicle released from the Mantsole Traffic Control Centre in Mpumalanga with no penalties. The service just grew from then. To date the bureau has been successful in having numerous dubious traffic fines cancelled and secured the release of a number of vehicles wrongfully impounded by traffic officers trying to solicit bribes from the drivers.
CBOB will offer a service package directed at assisting truckers and drivers not only within the borders of SA, but beyond at border posts along the North South Corridor where delays are experienced due to inefficient procedures and corruption, such as Beitbridge, Chirundu, Forbes-Machipanda, Kazangula, Kasumbalesa and other corridors and borders. The assistance provided to CBOB members includes;
- Assist with traffic related offences that are deemed to be harassment of drivers for the extortion of bribes by Traffic Officers within the borders of South Africa.
- Where traffic fines are issued for what appears to be a non-legitimate offence, they will be reviewed to determine whether they have been correctly or incorrectly issued within the parameters of the Road Traffic Regulations. If is not, written application will be made to prosecutor of the court under which the offence falls under to have the fine overturned and cancelled. (This assistance will be provided to transporters along corridors and border posts in East and Southern Africa).
Additional Available Assistance
- Assistance and guidance can be given for the compliant transport of Dangerous Goods, inclusive of driver and vehicle compliance.
- CBOB can supply a learners’ digest for the transportation of dangerous goods as and aid to obtaining their DG Certification.
- CBOB can supply Tremcards in pdf. format (FESARTA Tremcard Data Base Software) to be printed and carried when transporting Dangerous Goods. These can be supplied ad-hoc, or as a data base of Tremcards for specific commodities.
- CBOB can provide assistance with the development of in-house Driver Training Programs.
- CBOB will give access to FESARTA readymade self-teaching driver training modules at a discount. However, where a specific tailor-made training program is required, this will be charged out separately according to the time spent in developing the required training program.
- CBOB can provide transport business consultancy services in relation to contracts, legal advice, and operational research.
Emergency Services Conditions
CBOB Bureau will operate with a team of three competent Transport Consultants on call. The team of consultants on first call will be:
Mike Fitzmaurice (Executive Director)
Kelly John Barnett (Chief Operating Officer)
Roy Darren Smith (Operations Manager).
Other competent members of our team will support the bureau are;
Harold Reed (FESARTA Chairman)
Leon Swanepoel (Training Officer)
Members will be provided with a directory of numbers and the procedures to obtain immediate service. A roster will be sent to the transporters’ operations department detailing who will be on duty with the relevant contact numbers
The call centre support will operate 7 days a week on the following basis:
Monday to Friday from 06:00 to 20:00 for telephone, email and or What’s App communications.
From 20.00 to 06.00 and over weekends, by What’s App and email communications.
Calls will be prioritised and dealt with in the following time frames:
- 0-8 hours (during business hours) for issues classified as High priority.
- Within 48 hours for issues classified as Medium priority.
- Within 5 working days for issues classified as Low priority.
Fees and Charges
The fee structure for transporters will be based on the number of trucks or prime movers in the fleet to give the smaller operators the opportunity to sign up at an affordable fee and as is detailed below; NRTA members will receive a 10% discount on the fees and preferential service.
- 1-10 truck operators are R250 per truck per annum with a minimum charge of R2 500 per annum
- 11-30 trucks R225 per truck per annum – minimum fee of R2 725 and maximum fee of R6 750 per annum
- 31-50 trucks R200 per truck per annum - minimum fee of R6 975 and maximum fee of R10 000 per annum
- 51-150 trucks R150 per truck per annum - minimum fee of R10 150 and maximum fee of R15 000 per annum
- 151 plus trucks R100 per truck per annum - minimum fee of R15 100 and maximum dependent on number of trucks in the fleet
MEMBERSHIP OF CBOB
The application form to join CBOB is available on request, contact us at;
Cell: +27 60 978 7848
Landline: +27 41 360 1335
It must be noted that FESARTA is seeking support from transporters and companies affiliated to the Transport Sector throughout the region to secure AEO (Authorised Economic Operator) status for its members from the various Revenue Authorities i.e. SARS, ZIMRA, ZRA, OFIDA, BURS, NRA, SRA and MRA. This will mean that provided the Transporter or affiliated company is compliant in terms of the requirements determined by the AEO status, CBOB members will be given green lane status at all regional border posts in the Southern African region.
FESARTA will remain the regional association with membership by NRTA’s (National Road Transport Associations), Corporates, Vehicle Manufacturer’s, Telematics Companies, Freight Forwarders, Importers and Exporters. Application and details for FESARTA membership are available on the website www.fesarta.com or through email contact at email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you, and to providing our services to assist your operations.
Executive Director: FESARTA & CBOB
10 Marchant Way
Landline: +27 41 360 1335
Cell: +27 60 978 7848;